I often start with a drawing in my little ‘what to sew’ book. When a new season is coming up I have a lot of things I want to sew in my head and drawing the clothes or items helps me to get a clear plan 😉
I wanted it to look like a classic but cool winter coat. So I decided to use ribbing fabric for the sleeves and a black and white striped fabric for the lining. I had a beautiful yellow woolen fabric laying in my cabinet for a few years. I decided to use the ‘wrong’ side of the fabric because it has a beautifull rough look.
For the pattern I used a baby vest from Ottobre 4/2010. I used a size bigger because of the thickness of the fabric and filling and added some length.
I lay out the jacket to see where I want the buttons and pockets. If I don’t have the right buttons I cut them out of paper. Of course you have to keep in mind it looses about 1 cm all around and about 3 cm at the bottom when you finish the coat. Pin a and sew the pockets.
Don’t forget to add the label if you have one. I embroidered this one myself. I still have to practice… but it looked okay for the first time! I think I’ll post about this some other time, when I’m a lot better 😜
Then I sewed the lining and outside together. Leave out the bottom and armholes so you can turn it to the right side. I always have to think when I need to sew the sleeves together…don’t forget to put the ribbing between the lining and outside fabric… lookout the sleeves aren’t twisted… pfff so far so good!
You can find a link of a very helpful tutorial about this in my previous post: summer jacket.
I’m always very nervous when I finish a project and all there is left to do are the buttonholes 😓 All I can think that moment is… there is a possibility you ruin this coat! Most of the time I searched for an alternative like a zipper or kamsnaps. But this coat needed buttons. This was the first time on my ‘new’ sewing machine. It goes automatically! You only need to fill in the size and start with your needle at the right point on your fabric and the machine will do the rest! Phew I think my fear of buttonholes is over.
To keep the buttons into place when I sew them on with my machine I use tape. Works perfect.
Yay finished! I am very happy with the result, unfortunately my model don’t look that way in the picture 😥